Chocolate Churros With Mexican Dipping Sauce…
Chocolate Churros With Mexican Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips, divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, plus ¼ cup for garnish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups canola oil, for frying
- Make dipping sauce: Heat heavy cream over medium heat until just about to boil. Remove from heat and add ½ cup Ghirardelli® Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and corn syrup and cover. Let sit for 1 minute and then whisk until smooth. Stir in orange zest and cayenne powder. Set aside until ready to serve and warm over low heat if necessary.
- Finely chop remaining ¼ cup Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Baking Chips and set aside.
- Make churros: In a medium saucepan, heat milk, butter, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, add flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon about 1 minute until a shiny dough forms.
- Transfer flour mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer and let cool 4 minutes. On low speed, beat in eggs, one at a time until a smooth, shiny dough forms. Mix in chopped Ghirardelli baking chips and transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip*.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to 350° F. Carefully pipe batter into hot oil into 2-inch long sections, using a knife to cut batter at end of tip and allowing batter to slide into oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a metal slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Roll churros in remaining granulated sugar. Serve immediately with Mexican dipping sauce.