DIY 4th of July Ring Toss
- 2 small wood CD crates
- 12 glass or plastic bottles
- Craft paint (red, white and blue)
- Spray paint (blue)
- Foam brush
- Jute twine or yarn
- Gue gun & glue
- Assorted wood stars
- Small embroidery hoops (4 hoops per player)
- 120 grit sand paper
- Wax paper lined tray
- To make the crate, sand crates lightly to smooth any rough edges. Then paint the interior and exterior of crates with spray paint until covered. Set aside and let it dry.
- To make the wooden stars, sand the stars lightly to smooth any rough edges. Then arrange the stars before painting to select placement. (TIP: snap a photo with your camera phone to remember your layout once you’re ready to glue!) Then, paint stars with 2-3 coats using white paint, letting them dry in between each coat. Finally, Glue the stars to 1 side of each crate with s glue gun!
- To make the bottles, wash and remove any labels with warm soapy water. (TIP: Goo Gone works like a charm to help remove any remaining glue).
- Pour red paint into 6 bottles and white paint into the other 6 bottles. (TIP: add a tiny bit of water to your paint if it’s too thick)
- Rotate the bottles slowly to cover the entire interior of the bottle. Then, pour the excess paint out. Place it upside down on wax paper-lined tray to finish draining the paint.
- After about 30 minutes, flip the bottles right side up and clean the rim. Let the bottles dry for 48–72 hours right side up.
- To make the hoops, remove any stickers and metal parts. You can remove the metal parts by bending with it with pliers.
- Then, glue the large hoop openings together with glue gun. Wrap the jute around the hoops and secure with glue. Paint hoops with different colors and/or patterns different colors. Create enough hoops so each player has 4.
- Place crates together and set 6 bottles in each crate to make 4 rows of 3 bottles. Mark a line 3-6 feet away from the bottles for game players to stand behind when tossing the rings.
- 1) Give each player 4 rings
- 2) Have them stand behind the line toss rings onto the bottles
- Player who rings the most bottles wins!
Guru to the Outdoors http://gurutotheoutdoors.com/