Is That Mushroom Safe To Eat?

Is That Mushroom Safe To Eat

If you spend any time outdoors, you’ve probably seen mushrooms growing under trees or in your yard, but if you’re out camping or just enjoy foraging, here are some ways to tell if the mushroom you’re looking at is edible.

Caution

First of all, it should be said that if you’re not absolutely, clearly, 100% sure that a mushroom that you see is safe to eat, then do not eat it. Some mushrooms can sicken or kill you if eaten. Even if you think it’s possibly safe, there’s no reason to put your health in jeopardy if you’re not absolutely sure. To that point, this is not an authoritative or definitive guide to mushrooming. We hope to get you started or interested, but don’t do anything dangerous based on one article.

Things to Avoid

Eating Raw. Most wild mushrooms are difficult to digest when raw. If you do find wild mushrooms that you trust, make sure to cook them well, either stewed or fried, preferably. In some mushrooms that are otherwise mildly toxic, heat will break down the toxins. However, this isn’t universally true, so remain cautious.

Decaying or Old Mushrooms. It may seem like an oxymoron, but if you’re picking mushrooms you only want whole, firm, and fresh mushrooms with thick stems and no damage to the body from insects or other animals. If you think a mushroom may have had a bite taken out of it, leave it alone.

Read More: How To Tell If A Mushroom Is Safe To Eat

Comments

comments