Mile-High Caramel Apple Pie…
Mile-High Caramel Apple Pie
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 pounds cooking apples, such as Fuji or Granny Smith, cored and cut into ¼-inch thick slices (about 12 cups)
- 1 recipe Oat Pastry for Caramel Apple Pie, OR one 15-oz. pkg. rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust (2 crusts)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 12 ounce jar caramel ice cream topping (about 1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 475 F. In very large bowl combine butter and cinnamon; add apples and toss gently to coat. Spread apples evenly in a parchment paper- or foil-lined, large roasting pan or two 15x10x1-inch baking pans. Roast (one pan at a time if using baking pans) for 7 to 10 minutes or until apples start to brown on edges, turning once halfway through. Cool apples in pan(s). Reduce heat to 375 F.
- Prepare Oat Pastry or let refrigerated pastry stand at room temperature according to package directions. Line 9-inch pie plate with half of pastry as directed.
- In very large bowl stir together brown sugar, flour, and salt. Add apple slices and any juices; stir to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim top crust to edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry; crimp edge. Brush top with mixture of beaten egg and water. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Place on middle shelf in oven; place foil-lined baking sheet on lower rack beneath pie. Bake 30 minutes; remove foil from pie. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes more or until top is golden and filling is bubbly. Remove to a wire rack. While warm, drizzle with some of the caramel topping. Cool completely. Serve with remaining topping. Makes 8 servings.